One of the first houses to attempt the manufacture of saws in
this country was that of R. Hoe & Co. In 1849 this house
brought over three Englishmen, father and two sons, by the name
of Peace, experienced and skillful saw grinders, to manage their
saw grinding department.
At the end of thirteen years the two brothers commenced on their
own account in Center street, removing after time to Johnstown,
N.Y., and finally, in 1863, settling in their present location,
Tenth and Ainslie streets, Brooklyn, E. D.
establishment became especially identified with the elder
brother Harvey W.; and under his careful management it has
become one of the very largest in the United States devoted to
saw making alone. Latterly it has taken the form of a joint
stock company limited."