The Louisiana Planter acknowledges the receipt from the New
Orleans office of the Simonds Manufacturing Company of its
souvenir book recently issued, celebrating the seventy-fifth
anniversary of this notable manufacturing company, which has
made a success from its beginning at Fitchburg, Massachusetts,
seventy-five years ago.
The population of the town then, in
1832, was 2,257, and in 1907 its population was 35,000. The book
is a beautiful specimen of the printer's art, handsomely
illustrated, and shows the various manufactures in which the
Simonds Company are engaged and in which they stand eminent.
The career of the various members
of the Simonds family is shadowed out in their pictures,
beginning with Abel Simonds in 1832, in the little village
factory, and coming down to Daniel Simonds, the president of the
company in 1907.
A condensed history of the
corporation is given, from which we learn that Abel Simonds
started business at West Fitchburg, Mass., in 1832.
In 1864 the Simonds Bros. Co. was
organized at West Fitchburg. In 1868 the Simonds Manufacturing
Company was incorporated. In 1874 Abel Simonds, the founder of
the business, died.
In 1880 an addition was made to the
Fitchburg factory of a wide band saw room. They had a fire in
the tempering department and a new hardening room was built. In
1880 a Chicago store was opened at 209 Lake Street, and in 1884
an additional store was there opened on the corner of Canal and
In 1885 a saw giving a 21-inch cut,
the largest on record, was delivered by them in New Orleans. In
1886 a San Francisco store was opened. In 1887 an Aid and
Benefit Association was organized in connection with the
In 1888 the New Orleans store was
opened, and in 1891 a Portland, Oregon, store was opened. In the
same year the Simonds Saw Company was incorporated in San
Francisco. In 1892 they opened a store in New York City and a
Chicago factory was operated.
In 1894 the Simonds Manufacturing
Company Ltd., was incorporated in New Orleans, and in 1898 a
store was opened by them at Seattle, Washington.
In 1900, another addition to the
Fitchburg factory was built for manufacturing hand saws, and in
1900 a steel mill was built in Chicago.
In 1902 a London agency was
established. In 1904 the New Orleans store was burned. In 1905
the Simonds File Company was organized at Fitchburg, and in
1905-6 a new plant was operated at Fitchburg.
In 1900 the Simonds Canada Saw
Company was organized at Montreal, and in that year the San
Francisco store was burned. In the same year the Daniel Simonds
Recreation Club was formed at Fitchburg.
In 1907 an addition was built to
the Chicago factory, and also one to the Montreal factory, and
with them the good work still goes on, and we may say with
Tennyson and his "Song of the Brook," that “Man may come and man
may go" - but the Simonds go on forever.
The Louisiana Planter and Sugar
Manufacturer, Vol. 40, February 1908,
(New Orleans: Louisiana Planter and Sugar Manufacturer Co.)