In 1900 The Simonds
Mfg. Co. presents hand saws for the first time at the
International Universal Exposition in Paris.
In December of 1900 the
company began operation of crucible steel plant in Chicago,
adjacent to the long saws factory built in 1892.
Fitchburg factory was
enlarged with addition dedicated to hand saws manufacturing.
In this catalog The
Simonds Mfg. Co. describes their approach to production of
"Consequently, in 1900,
our own first steel mill was built adjoining our Saw plant in
Chicago, but owing to the fact that the quality of our goods has
been so well appreciated and increasingly demanded by the public
during the last ten years, we were obliged to build a new mill
of three times the capacity.
This we did at
Lockport, N. Y. in 1910. The location is excellent, equi-distant
from our three factories, Fitchburg, Mass., Chicago, Ill., and
Montreal, Quebec. Unlimited electric power from Niagara Falls is
at our door. Our eighty-three acres of land there is sufficient
for future expansion.
Uniformity of product
is very essential in making saw plate. We have careful
inspection at every operation, and the most careful selection of
raw materials. The chemical laboratory at the Simonds Mill is in
charge of experts who constantly watch uniformity and quality,
making an analysis of each melting to determine the exact
proportion of carbon and other ingredients and so prevent
The catalog presented here was made available by Mark Stansbury.
Mark designed and maintains several websites dedicated to
hand tools of 19th century. Here are a few links that will take
you to his sites: